IB cooperating in Ishrat Jahan encounter case: CBI
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Friday appeared to put an end to speculations of a rift with the Intelligence Bureau in connection with the Ishrat Jahan encounter case.
Addressing mediapersons, CBI director Ranjit Sinha said that the Intelligence Bureau was cooperating with the investigating agency in the process of investigation.
“We have taken assistance from all agencies, including the Intelligence Bureau...IB is cooperating with us in the process of investigation,” said Sinha.
Notably, the CBI had raised questions on the role of the Intelligence Bureau in connection with the Ishrat Jahan encounter in its chargesheet.
The conspiracy, the chargesheet said, was hatched by Pandey, DIG Vanzara and Rajinder Kumar, who was then posted as Joint Director of the SIB in Gujarat.
It says that crime branch officer Amin and Barot had taken Ishrat and Javed Sheikh into their custody on June 12 from a toll booth at Vasad in Anand district with the help of MK Sinha and Rajiv Wankhede of the IB.
The document says that the four killed in the encounter were in prior custody of Gujarat police and, in fact, Ishrat and Javed were interrogated by Rajinder Kumar at a farm house on the city outskirts where they were kept in confinement.
The CBI did not name IB officer Rajinder Kumar as accused in the case, as it did not have enough evidence against him for now. However, the probe agency has maintained that his role in the encounter is still under probe. "Investigation is on against Special Director of the Intelligence Bureau Rajinder Kumar and four officers of the agency," the CBI told the court.
(With PTI inpus)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption