IB warns Delhi Police about terror attack in North Delhi`s Chandni Chowk
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Delhi Police has been warned by the Intelligence Bureau (IB) about possible terror attack in the national capital`s busy Chandni Chowk area ahead of Independence Day, as per reports.
According to a report in a leading Daily, this is the first of its kind alert sounded by the intelligence agency after BJP`s Narendra Modi became the Prime Minister of India.
The report also says that IB has stated that ``Islamist militants`` may be planning to carry out attacks in Chandni Chowk like the serial bombings in Hyderabad`s Dilsukhnagar in February 2013 and Zaveri Bazaar in Mumbai by the Indian Mujahideen in 2011.
The bustling area in North Delhi may be the only target this time around, the Daily quoted an IB official as saying. He also said that Students Islamic Movement of India was the prime suspect.
He added that the ``epicentre`` may be within two to three kilometre radius in order to cause maximum loss of life, the Daily reported.
Delhi Police has reportedly stepped up security in the area after receiving alerts from the IB.
The national capital has been at the receiving end of numerous terror attacks in the past with serial blasts rocking busy market areas like Sarojini Nagar, Karol Bagh and Lajpat Nagar. Places like the Delhi High Court and Red Fort have also been the target of terror groups.
The BJP-led NDA government came to power on May 16 winning a landslide victory. Modi was sworn-in as the PM on May 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days