ICAO sets Nov 2015 deadline to phase out handwritten passports
Jammu: The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) plans to phase out all non-Machine Readable Passports (MRPs) by 2015.
"The ICAO has set a deadline of November 24, 2015 for globally phasing out all non-Machine Readable Passports," Jammu passport officer Rajinder Gupta said on Monday.
All handwritten passports with photos pasted on it earlier issued by India are considered non-MRP passports and foreign nations might deny visa or entry to any person travelling with such document after the end of the period, said Gupta.
All 20-year validity passports will also fall in this category, he said, adding that the government started issuing MRP passports since 2001.
"Indian citizens residing in India and abroad and holding handwritten and 20-year validity passports should apply for re-issue of passports and obtain MRP passports well before the deadline in order to avoid any inconvenience in obtaining foreign visa or immigration problem," Gupta added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you