‘ICG planning 42 coast guard stations across coastline’
Gandhinagar: The Indian Coast Guard (ICG)
is planning to have 42 stations across the 7,500-km-long
coastline for effective monitoring of maritime borderline, its
Director General and vice-admiral Anil Chopra, said on Wednesday.
"The ICG is expanding and consolidating its coast-level,
manpower, infrastructure and pursuing urgent enhancement of
its surveillance capabilities," Chopra told mediapersons after
inauguration of the 4th ICG North West regional headquarters.
"India has a 7,500-km-long coastline and to secure it, we
will have 42 coast guard stations all round the coast with
adequate ships and boats," Chopra said.
"Many projects have been sanctioned by the government and
are in the process of being implemented. This will take time
as both building ships and recruiting and training manpower is
a long process," he added.
The regional headquarter (north-west), which is the first
after establishment of ICG in 1978, was inaugurated by the
Gujarat Governor Dr Kamla. The other regional headquarters
are located in Mumbai, Chennai and Port Blair.
Regarding regional headquarters, Chopra said it was a
very important step of the ICG as Gujarat was a frontline
state with large number of off-shore assets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video