ICG seeks India`s views on global issues
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of the dramatic shift of power from the West to the rest and India`s rising global stature, the head of the International Crisis Group (ICG), a leading global think tank, is in India to seek Indian perspectives on key international issues.
The Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA), the think tank of the Ministry of External Affairs, organised an interaction with Louise Arbour, the president and CEO of the ICG and a former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, on Thursday evening. At least half a dozen retired diplomats, domain experts and journalists engaged in discussions with Arbour.
"She is convinced about fundamental changes to the power balance in today`s world," said Rajiv Bhatia, the director-general of the ICWA, who chaired the dialogue.
Arbour spoke about `peace and security in a changing world," and provided insights into pressing global and regional issues, including the situation in Afghanistan, China`s recent actions in South China Sea and the threat perception felt by some East Asian nations, and the post-Arab Spring situation in the Middle East and North Africa.
Arbour, a former justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, believes that while "war may be on the retreat, the overall decline in war is due not to fewer conflicts starting, but to more ending." Arbour boasts a formidable resume and had served as a chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda.
Over the years, the ICG, headquartered in Brussels, has carved a niche for itself as an international, independent and non-profit NGO whose reports shape opinions and perceptions of the governments and the international ruling elite.
"ICG is famous for its three-fold role ie conducting field research, crafting policy prescriptions and analysis, and conducting high-level advocacy. On a personal note, I should mention that as a student of developments in Africa and Southeast Asia, I have gained much from ICG products," said Bhatia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in