ICG to open 5 new Coast Guard stations
Chennai: In a bid to enhance coastal security, Indian Coast Guard (ICG) on Thursday announced it would open five new Coast Guard stations across the eastern region
before 2012 and commission five new high-tech ships.
"We plan to open five new Coast Guard stations at Nizampatnam and Krishnapatnam in Andhra Pradesh, Golapur in Orissa, Karaikal in Tamil Nadu and Frazerganj in West Bengal," Commander Coast Guard Region (East) ICG IG A Rajasekhar told reporters.
"Land has been acquired from the respective governments to set up the stations and construction will start soon," he said, adding the ships are now being built at Hindustan
"The first of these ships `Rainabbakka` will be commissioned in August in Chennai region," he said.
Rajasekhar was speaking after attending the bi-annual ICG district commanders conference, conducted in February and July at ICG Chennai headquarters to review the progress of various units.
He said the conference reviewed the prevailing security scenario, discussed deployment of forces and how best to tackle likely threats and chalked out the future course of
Rajasekar said in the last one year, ICG had inducted `OPV Vishwat`, Interceptor Board-146, new Chetak helicopter CG 820 and 40-meter long berth (OSV-5).
He said 346 of the total of 788 distress alerts received from across the country since January 10 were from the eastern region.
"All the alerts were corroborated and 43 missions were coordinated on authentication of the distress, which resulted in saving 36 lives," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth