Identity of prisoner who died in Pak jail not yet established
New Delhi: India on Friday said it has not been able to establish the identity of a prisoner in Pakistani jail who had died on Wednesday even though Pakistan had given his name in the list of Indian prisoners under its custody.
"His name was given by Pakistan in the list of Indian prisoners. However, we have not been able to establish his identity on two occasions," External Affairs Minister spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said.
Talking about the two occasions, he said, one was during the visit of the judicial committee in April and the other during consular access this month as he was not in a mental condition to articulate any details about him.
He also said that India has sought further details in this regard.
Officials had said in Pakistan that an "Indian prisoner" died of a suspected heart attack in a hospital in Lahore.
Zakir Mumtaz, believed to be a resident of a village near Amritsar, was admitted to Jinnah hospital Wednesday after he fell ill, sources said.
Mumtaz, 50, was arrested on August 3, 2011 for allegedly crossing the border illegally. He was held in a jail in Sheikhaupura before being sent to Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?