Identity politics no means to end caste oppression: Karat
Kollam (Ker): CPI-M General Secretary Prakash Karat on Sunday said "identity politics" would not help eradication of the oppression of Dalits and other depressed sections and what was important was to bring them to the mainstream politics.
Inaugurating the state convention of the Scheduled Caste Colony association, launched by the CPI(M), Karat said here that pursuing identity politics would only help perpetuation of caste system.
The task of Communists and their Left allies was to root out caste system that dominated the country`s social and political order for centuries. This could be achieved only by bringing the depressed sections to the mainstream social and political through an organised movement, Karat said.
"Narrow identity and caste politics would only end up in perpetuating the present caste system. This barrier has to be broken by bringing Scheduled Castes and other Dalit sections to the mainstream democratic society," he said.
The CPI(M) leader said this truth was realised by none other than B R Ambedkar and he had made fervent calls for bringing the depressed sections to the mainstream.
Stating that bourgeois political parties were keen to promoting identity politics for perpetuation of the exploitative order, Karat said "it is the duty of the Communists to break the oppressive and pernicious caste system entirely."
Holding that the socially and economically under privileged were the worst victims of the neo-liberal policies being implemented in the country, Karat said it was due to pressures from the corporate sector that the government was unwilling to introduce job quota in private sector.
He said it was important for the Communist now to think how to build a vibrant and well-organised platform for bringing the depressed sections to the left democratic mainstream.
CPI(M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan said though the social and economic situation of Dalits in Kerala was better compared to other states, they continued to lag behind other communities even in a progressive state like Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray