`Idiot politicians` remark was made casually, says Bharat Ratna CNR Rao
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Bangalore: After triggering a controversy by calling the politicians as idiots, who have not done much to help the scientific community, renowned scientist and Bharat Ratna awardee CNR Rao on Monday said that his remark was made casually.
Speaking to reporters, the eminent scientist, who is also the Chairman of Prime Minister`s Scientific Advisory Council, said, "I was speaking informally as if to friends when I made the idiot politicians remark," adding, "Had I known that this was so formal, I would have weighed my words more carefully."
Rao further clarified that his comment was not made out of anger. The eminent scientist however stressed that there was a critical shortfall in government funding for science, noting that “For every Rs 100 we ask for, we get only Rs 20?.
“More serious thought has to be given. We need better structures for science”, he stressed.
A day after being recommended for the country`s highest civilian award, Rao had slammed the politicians as idiots for doing nothing to help the scientific community.
Addressing a press conference here, Rao said, "....For the money that government has given to scientific sector, we have done much more."
"....Why the hell these idiots these politicians have given so little for us. In spite of that we scientists have done something," Rao said, apparently losing his cool.
He made these remarks when quizzed by a reporter as what he felt about the standard of the scientific research in the country.
"Our investments are marginal, comes late.... For that money we have got, we have performed. For the money we have been getting it is not bad at all, after all this kind of money is nothing," he added.
Stressing on the need for providing more resources for research, the eminent scientist said that there is huge dissatisfaction in the scientific community over "inadequate" funding given to them from the government.
When asked about China progress, the scientist said, "We also have to take blame on ourselves, as Indians we don`t work hard, we are not like Chinese."
"We are easy going and we are not as much nationalists...If we get some-more money we are ready to go abroad," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened