‘IED blast caused derailment of Guwahati Exp’
Guwahati: An improvised explosive device was used to trigger the blast that led to the derailment of the Guwahati-Puri Express in Kamrup district in Assam that left 100 passengers injured, officials said on Monday.
Railway PRO Nripendra Bhattacharya said the explosion led to the engine and eight coaches jumping the rails at around 8:30 last evening at Dhatkuchi between Rangia and Ghagrapar in the district.
Four of the coaches toppled over and fell into a three feet water-filled ditch following the explosion, he said.
A large crater beside the tracks and a huge length of fuse wire leading to a jungle were found by the Bomb Disposal Squad after the derailment.
A senior police officer said it appeared to be the handiwork of the Ranjan Daimary-led National Democratic Front of Bodoland anti-talk faction, active in the area.
The officer said at least 100 passengers were injured who were admitted to the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital. Of the injured, 41 were in a serious condition, hospital sources said.
Railway officials are supervising restoration operations at the spot with 300 labourers at work, the officer said.
A special train with 800 passengers of the Guwahati-Puri Express left Guwahati for Puri at 5:30 this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!