IEDs weighing over 300 kgs recovered from Naxal areas
Raipur: Security forces have seized improvised
explosive devices weighing over 300 kgs from various Naxal-
affected states since last week as they conducted an operation
for recovery of the deadly agent, which had been responsible
for 60 per cent of the deaths of troops in these areas.
The Maoists have targeted police and paramilitary convoys
and patrol parties with hidden IEDs wreaking havoc on their
operations, after which forces like CRPF and others have put
special emphasis on the recovery of these explosives.
"Almost 326 kgs of IEDs have been recovered by our
anti-sabotage teams in the last nine days from May 31. The
forces in Naxal-affected areas are undertaking special combing
exercises and booby trap checks," a senior CRPF officer said.
A special squad of the CRPF today recovered a 10-kilogram
IED from near Tunggi Nallah area of Bijapur district in
Chhattisgarh, the officer said.
Out of the total operational casualty of security
personnel, 60 per cent can be attributed to IED blasts, he
Security forces have been facing a severe challenge as
whether they were travelling on vehicles or on foot, they have
been trapped and ambushed by cleverly-hidden IEDs, sometimes
even under metalled roads.
"We have instructed all the security forces like CRPF,
BSF, ITBP and state police squads to absolutely shun their
vehicles during operations. But sometimes they have been found
violating the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) resulting
in huge casualties," the officer said.
A special crack operation is being undertaken to detect
and defuse IEDs, he added.
On May 17, 15 civilians and 16 Special Police Officers
were killed when Naxals blew up a civilian bus in Dantewada
district of the state aided by an IED explosion.
An IED is a deadly explosive put together by combining
chemicals, detonators and sharpnels to inflict maximum
The IEDs, once detected and defused, are handed over to
the local police.
Almost 59,000 personnel (59 battalions) of central
security forces are undertaking anti-Naxal operations in
various states of the country like Orrisa, Jharkhand, West
Bengal and others.
On June 5, CRPF personnel recovered five IEDs, four of
them weighing 60-kg each, hidden by Naxals in a forest area
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks