If FIR is lodged against me, I`ll quit: Kapil Sibal
New Delhi: Union Minister Kapil Sibal on Thursday downplayed the registration of a CBI case against Maharashtra minister Rajendra Darda in coal blocks allocation case but said he himself would have resigned if any FIR was filed against him.
"If anybody lodges an FIR against me, I will resign," Sibal told reporters.
He, however, added "what is an FIR...It is the originatiing point, the beginning of an investigation. FIR is not prima facie (evidence of some case). The chargesheet is prima facie...Is this the law in our country that you resign if anybody files an FIR"?
The Union Minister was replying to questions about the case lodged by CBI against the Rajendra Darda.
Sibal also sought to pick holes in the CAG report which has computed alleged undue benefits of Rs 1.86 lakh crore to private companies in coal block allocation, by questioning why the CAG changed its mind after saying that estimates were being employed to project and emphasize a material issue and it should not be construed as a core finding.
He also wondered why the CAG did not call a meeting to discuss the revised draft performance audit report despite a request from the Coal Ministry in March this year.
"We are not making any allegations against the CAG. These are facts. We want him to reflect", he added.
"We have not made any allegations against the CAG or any Constitutional body unlike some of the opposition leaders like Arun Shourie who had dubbed its findings idiotic while George Fernandes had used the word "unethical".
Referring to AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh`s charge that CAG Vinod Rai has a political agenda, Sibal said "no such official statement from the party has come".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug