IIM-A opposes umbrella body for IIMs
Ahmedabad: Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A) has opposed the proposed legislation to bring IIMs under one umbrella body, saying it would curtail its autonomy.
"The bill in parliament which proposes to have an umbrella type of body for IIMs...Let us say facilitation which they (govt) say...We have as a society opposed it, the faculty has opposed and the Board of Governors have opposed," Chairman IIM-A Board of Governor (BoG) A M Naik told newsmen.
The IIM-A Board of Governors, which met today ahead of the 48th convocation, opposed the government`s decision to bring IIMs under an overarching body on the lines of IIT Council.
"We have given our representation in writing..I think it will meet with some consideration..Because the institutes which have been doing exceedingly well must be left alone..," Naik said on the sidelines of the convocation held here.
The proposed legislation seeks to confer IIMs the status of institutes of national importance empowering them to award degrees instead of diplomas.
It has proposed establishment of an IIM Council similar to the Council for the IITs and pave the way for appointment of more government directors on IIMs boards.
Naik also said the HRD Ministry is likely to decide the name of new IIM-A director over the next two weeks.
"The HRD Ministry is going to decide the names of directors hopefully in the next two weeks," he said.
Meanwhile, in his convocation address, Naik said "IIM-A adopted a revised Memorandum of Association just over a year back. This is an unique institute and now it has to build on its current standing to reach the next level of growth and internationalisation.
Chief guest at the occasion, ArcelorMittal CEO L N Mittal, while sharing his success mantra with the passing batch, said "leadership can often be a lonely business."
"Business, and indeed life, throws up many unexpected challenges and tough times. In order to successfully navigate through these tough times, it is important to be grounded and connected with reality," Mittal told the passing out batch of IIM-A students.
Over 500 students of various programmes of IIM-A including its flagship Post Graduate Programme in Management, were conferred with diploma certificates at the convocation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'