IIM-A opposes umbrella body for IIMs
Ahmedabad: Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A) has opposed the proposed legislation to bring IIMs under one umbrella body, saying it would curtail its autonomy.
"The bill in parliament which proposes to have an umbrella type of body for IIMs...Let us say facilitation which they (govt) say...We have as a society opposed it, the faculty has opposed and the Board of Governors have opposed," Chairman IIM-A Board of Governor (BoG) A M Naik told newsmen.
The IIM-A Board of Governors, which met today ahead of the 48th convocation, opposed the government`s decision to bring IIMs under an overarching body on the lines of IIT Council.
"We have given our representation in writing..I think it will meet with some consideration..Because the institutes which have been doing exceedingly well must be left alone..," Naik said on the sidelines of the convocation held here.
The proposed legislation seeks to confer IIMs the status of institutes of national importance empowering them to award degrees instead of diplomas.
It has proposed establishment of an IIM Council similar to the Council for the IITs and pave the way for appointment of more government directors on IIMs boards.
Naik also said the HRD Ministry is likely to decide the name of new IIM-A director over the next two weeks.
"The HRD Ministry is going to decide the names of directors hopefully in the next two weeks," he said.
Meanwhile, in his convocation address, Naik said "IIM-A adopted a revised Memorandum of Association just over a year back. This is an unique institute and now it has to build on its current standing to reach the next level of growth and internationalisation.
Chief guest at the occasion, ArcelorMittal CEO L N Mittal, while sharing his success mantra with the passing batch, said "leadership can often be a lonely business."
"Business, and indeed life, throws up many unexpected challenges and tough times. In order to successfully navigate through these tough times, it is important to be grounded and connected with reality," Mittal told the passing out batch of IIM-A students.
Over 500 students of various programmes of IIM-A including its flagship Post Graduate Programme in Management, were conferred with diploma certificates at the convocation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon