IIM directors to meet Sibal to discuss autonomy, pan-IIM board
New Delhi: The government is set to hold a roundtable of IIM directors this week to discuss issues, including autonomy to the elite institutes and examine the implementation of R C Bhargava committee report which suggested setting up a pan-IIM board for greater excellence.
The directors will meet HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Friday here where they are expected to present a roadmap for the growth of the institutes.
"All issues, including their autonomy, growth and setting up of pan IIM board will be discussed at the roundtable. The IIMs may be asked to present their futuristic vision for growth," a source said.
This is the first meeting of IIM directors with Sibal who took over the HRD Minister last May.
The IIMs had earlier opposed the implementation of the Bhargava committee report, saying that it will curtail their autonomy.
The committee set up had disfavoured giving full autonomy to the institutes and suggested a pan-IIM board to help them achieve greater excellence.
IIMs have been established by the government with public funds and are perceived as public institutions and thus IIMs cannot expect to become fully independent of the government, the committee had said in its report.
The Bhargava committee had observed that the IIMs have failed to achieve greater degree of excellence as the key players governing them, including the government, have no real accountability for results. The IIM had strongly disapproved the recommendations.
The IIM directors will also give their views on the proposed Foreign Education Providers Bill. They will give their opinion on the entry of the foreign universities and their possible impact on the IIMs.
The government will discuss the plan of certain IIMs to open campuses abroad. IIM Bangalore has already evinced interest to set up a campus in Singapore.
However, the IIMs are unable to open the campus as their Memorandum of Association with the government does not allow
them to go abroad.
The government has recently expressed readiness to allow them to amend the MoA to set up campus abroad with conditions. The government feels that the IIMs should not affect their own institute in the country while setting up campus abroad, sources said.
Sibal had earlier said the IIMs must deliver in India first. He has also said the government is ready to give incrementally autonomy to the IIMs provided they come up with a vision and fulfil it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly