IIPM: 78 web pages including UGC`s blocked on court order
New Delhi: The web page of University Grants Commission (UGC) is among various other website links that have been blocked on Internet on the basis of a Gwalior court order after a business partner of Arindam Chaudhuri-led IIPM complained about "defamatory material" about the institute published on them.
The Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DEITY) blocked 78 web pages, including that of UGC, following the court order.
The list of web pages blocked also included news items on websites of leading media houses on the Indian Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM).
"We will be talking to our advocates on Monday about this development before taking any action," said UGC chairman Ved Prakash in an apparent indication of moving to a higher court to challenge the ban on the web-page link carrying the notice.
UGC, in its public notice, cautioning the students had said that it does not recognise (IIPM) and that it is not entitled to award degrees.
Chaudhuri in an SMS reply to a news agency said if something has happened is legal then no question should be raised to him.
"Go and ask why in the first place they had shamefully put defamatory content? If the law says defamatory URLs should be banned, and that is how it is world over, everyone should rejoice because tomorrow they could be at the receiving end of a malicious campaign and they might want justice," he said.
Complying with the Gwalior court order, the Ministry of Communications and IT issued the order to Internet service providers to comply with the order by blocking web pages as directed by the court.
"As per routine process, we only complied with court order and did not have any role in making the list of URLs (web pages) to be blocked," Director General Indian CERT (under DEITY) Gulshan Rai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands