IIT-CET row: Compromise formula reached
New Delhi: After months of wrangling, government and IITs on Wednesday resolved their differences on the entrance exam row by agreeing on a compromise agreement over holding the common exams from next year.
As per the agreement, admission to the IITs from 2013 would be based only on rank achieved in the advance test subject to the condition that selected candidates are in the top 20 percentile of successful candidates of their Boards.
This formula replaces the proposed format of giving weightage to the class XII board results, which was vehemently opposed by the IITs.
The compromise was reached at a meeting of IIT Council, the highest decision-making body having representatives from government and Directors of all the 16 of these institutes.
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, who is the head of the Council, skipped the crucial meeting which was then chaired by MN Sharma, Chairman of the Board of Governors of IIT, Madras.
"There was complete unanimity among the council members about the new format," Sharma told reporters.
He said NIT council and the IIIT council will meet early next month to evaluate the system in view of the tweaking of the proposed format.
The government had earlier proposed a common entrance which was rejected by IIT-Delhi and IIT-Kanpur and some others were also likely to follow suit.
According to a study by CBSE, the percentage of the last
student on the merit list according to the percentile ranking in its board stood at 78 percent, while the percentage of the last student under this formula in Uttar Pradesh board stands at about 65 per cent. In Tamil Nadu Board, it stands at 78 per cent.
Sharma hoped the faculty federation will come onboard with today`s decision which has been vetted by the Joint Admission Board (JAB)of the IITs in its meeting last Saturday.
The Council`s decision today will be deliberated by the respective IIT Senates even as IITs, the NITs and the IIITs have agreed to joint counselling for admitting students to their institutes.
Sharma said that as part of the new formula, the advance test will be held after the main exam. There will be adequate time between the two tests. Only the top 1.50 lakh candidates in the main will be qualified to appear in the advance examination.
"Admissions to the IITs will be based only on all India rank in advance test, subject to condition that such candidates are in the top 20 percentile of successful candidates of their boards," he said.
Sibal, who skipped the meeting apparently to show that there is no interference from the government, apologised for his absence.
"I would like to apologise for my absence from this crucial meeting of the IIT Council today. I have always taken my duties as a Union minister seriously and tried to do my best for the nation and most importantly its children who are its future require of me," he said in his message read out at the meeting.
"We have taken a unanimous decision to follow the formula suggested in Saturday`s meeting. IIT will get control of advance test," said M Anandkrishnan, chairman, board of governors, IIT-Kanpur.
Earlier, IIT-Delhi and IIT-Kanpur had rejected the proposed format on the ground that the test was "academically unsound and procedurally untenable".
The government had on May 28 announced the new test from 2013, under which aspiring candidates for IITs and other central institutes such as NITs and IIITs will have to take tests under a new format of common entrance test which will also take the plus two board results into consideration.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port