IIT council proposes pan-India CET
New Delhi: The council of IITs on Wednesday
proposed a pan-India common entrance test for admission to
engineering programmes possibly from 2013.
After a meeting of the council which stretched for over
five hours, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, however, said the
concurrence of the Central Advisory Board of Education and
state education ministers would be sought before implementing
"We have decided there shall be one exam. Subject to the
clearance of the CABE committee and subject to the clearance
of the state ministers we will try and put that into
operations from 2013," he told reporters here.
On the issue of hiking tuition fee as recommended by the
Anil Kakodkar committee, he made it clear that "fee would
remain the same at Rs 50,000 per annum" but added a student,
excluding STs and OBCs, would `pay back` the amount which is
the difference between the fee deposited and what the IIT
spends on him.
According to Sibal, an all-India merit list will be
prepared based on the combined weightage given to class XII
exam and to a common test. The test will examine a students
logic and non-subject matters.
He said weightage would be given to the marks obtained in
class XII boards after the results are equalised for which
Indian Statistical Institute will put in place a mathematical
formula for equalisation.
The minister said the council was seized of the problems
that states like Andhara Pradesh faced while implementing the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents