IIT council proposes pan-India CET
New Delhi: The council of IITs on Wednesday
proposed a pan-India common entrance test for admission to
engineering programmes possibly from 2013.
After a meeting of the council which stretched for over
five hours, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal, however, said the
concurrence of the Central Advisory Board of Education and
state education ministers would be sought before implementing
"We have decided there shall be one exam. Subject to the
clearance of the CABE committee and subject to the clearance
of the state ministers we will try and put that into
operations from 2013," he told reporters here.
On the issue of hiking tuition fee as recommended by the
Anil Kakodkar committee, he made it clear that "fee would
remain the same at Rs 50,000 per annum" but added a student,
excluding STs and OBCs, would `pay back` the amount which is
the difference between the fee deposited and what the IIT
spends on him.
According to Sibal, an all-India merit list will be
prepared based on the combined weightage given to class XII
exam and to a common test. The test will examine a students
logic and non-subject matters.
He said weightage would be given to the marks obtained in
class XII boards after the results are equalised for which
Indian Statistical Institute will put in place a mathematical
formula for equalisation.
The minister said the council was seized of the problems
that states like Andhara Pradesh faced while implementing the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read