IIT-Delhi also revolts, to conduct own exam
New Delhi: The Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi (IIT-Delhi) Thursday also revolted against the human resource development ministry`s move for a common entrance test and decided to hold its own entrance exam from 2013.
"We have rejected the governments` proposal and instead would be having our own separate test," IIT Faculty Federation president Sanjeev Sanghi said.
The decision, taken following a meeting of the IIT Delhi senate Thursday, said that the exams would be conducted in association with IIT-Kanpur, which has also rejected the government`s single entrance test move June 8.
"As of now we have associated with IIT Kanpur as they are the only other IIT institution that have opposed the government... we will be willing to associate with other IITss if they wish to join us," added Sanghi, who heads the national body of IIT teachers which is leading the battle against the new format along with IIT alumni associations.
Several IITs have come out in opposition on the proposed common entrance test, which merges IIT Joint Entrance Exam (IIT-JEE) with the All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) and also includes a fixed weightage from school board exam.
The IIT Faculty Federation and alumni associations have called the decision an attack on the autonomy of the institutions. They have said the senates were overruled while taking this decision, even as several IIT directors spoke in favour of the new format.
The professors, alumni and those close to the IITs fear the new format will "dilute" the IITs.
Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal contends that the common test was in favour of students.
IITs have been holding a joint entrance exam. However, the new format combines it with the entrance exam for the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and the Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray