IIT fee hike: Sibal promises positive look
New Delhi: With the IIT faculty expressing
displeasure over the pay hike, the government on Wednesday assured
them to consider their grievances "positively".
The IIT directors today aired their grievances before
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal who promised them to sort out the
"We have been given assurances by the minister. Once
these assurances are in place, we will be satisfied," an IIT
The IIT faculties have been demanding that assistant
professors should be placed in higher pay band. They have been
also demanding performance-related scholastic pay and
compensation to aspiring faculties towards the period they
spend in research before taking up teaching profession.
The HRD Ministry is understood to have accepted the
demand that assistant professors be placed in higher pay band.
The other two demands will be discussed in detail at
the IIT Council meeting, sources said.
Faculty of certain IITs had gone on strike recently in
protest against the new pay regime passed by the union cabinet
last month. The faculty allege that the Ministry has completely
ignored the recommendations of the Govardhan Mehta Committee.
However, Sibal said their issues would be sorted out
"as soon as possible".
Other issues, including measures to make the new IITs
self-dependent, were discussed at the meeting.
Sibal asked the IITs to prepare a blueprint of the
existing facilities at the new IITs and their requirements.
The blueprints will be ready in the next two months time after
which the ministry will decide how to go about strengthening
The blueprint will touch upon the facilities of rooms,
labs, auditorium and other research equipment.
The government started six IITs last year. These
institutes have been started on mentoring basis, a mechanism
under which the new ones functioned in the campus of the older
IITs. The government has decided to two more IITs this year --
one each at Mandi and Indore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees