IIT-JEE 2012: Controversy erupts over 3 questions
Patna: Like last year, questions for the IIT-JEE examination were found to be wrong, maths wizard and founder of Super-30 Anand kumar has claimed. Anand, whose efforts to help underprivileged students get through the tough competitive examination were recognised world-wide, said the problem had been detected soon after the examination, but it was confirmed after the JEE uploaded the answers to three questions.
Talking to a news agency, Anand said it was strange that instead of accepting the mistake, the authorities had once again resorted to average marking, which, he believed, would affect meritorious students adversely. In respect of one question each in chemistry (Q No. 23) and mathematics (Q No. 60) of Paper 2, the JEE authorities wrote that all students would get zero mark for it.
This means that the problems are wrong and even those students who still made an attempt to solve them would get zero mark. Similarly, in question number 6 of physics, there should be one right choice, but two choices have been given," he explained.
He lamented this trend of setting wrong questions had been going on for the last three years due to `callousness` on the part of the question-setters. Last year, he pointed out, questions worth 18 marks had been detected wrong and later average marks were given.
Anand said that two years ago it came to light that Hindi-medium students had been discriminated against due to low marking.
This does injustice to the meritorious students, as they suffer due to average marking. What is more, such things raise a question mark over the IIT’s credibility and shakes students confidence, Anand lamented.
It is high time, he said, the authorities worked out a foolproof mechanism to prevent repeat of such mistakes in future, as the IIT-JEE is a prestigious examination, he said.
"The teachers should test the answers by solving them before sending them for print, he felt. Anand had a few days ago submitted a detailed proposal to HRD minister Kapil Sibal regarding IIT-JEE reforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- DNA: Minor burnt three puppies to death in Hyderabad
- Lok Sabha adjourns after uproar over AAP MP Bhagwant Mann's Parliament video, other issues
- Book on LK Advani to be released without his consent?
- Hong Kong student leader pleads not guilty
- Gold down by Rs 51 to Rs 31,347 per 10 gram in futures trade
- ‘Kabali’ Rajinikanth mania grips nation – WATCH to believe it