IIT-JEE panel for 70% weightage to Class XII marks
New Delhi: Seventy per cent weightage should
be given to Class XII performance of students while selecting
them for prestigious IITs, a high level panel has recommended.
The panel comprising directors of IIT-Kharagpur,
IIT-Madras, IIT-Bombay and IIT-Roorki has suggested that the
IIT-JEE will be replaced by a broad-based National Aptitude
Test (NAT). Thirty per cent weightage should be given to the
NAT, the panel has said.
"The committee has submitted a draft report. It has
favoured 70 per cent weightage to Class XII Board performance
of students and 30 per cent to NAT," HRD Minister Kapil Sibal
The proposed NAT will shortlist about 40,000 students who
will be again called for another add-on test, the panel has
The successful candidates in the add-on test will be
eligible for admission to any of the 15 IITs.
The proposed NAT will be a comprehensive examination to
test the students` raw talent than limiting it to certain
specific subjects or objective type questions.
The committee, headed by IIT Kharagpur director Damodar
Acharya, has submitted the draft report after holding
Sibal said the ministry has not accepted the suggestions
yet and will take the matter to the IIT Council.
"We will take it to IIT Council after which the government
will take a decision," the minister said.
According to an IIT director, the proposed NAT will have
questions from all streams, including Science and Humanities
of Class XII level.
Sibal had set up the committee in February this year to
study the existing JEE structure and suggest improvement in
The weightage on Class XII marks while preparing the
cut-off for the admission into these elite institutes will
discourage students from going to private coaching institutes.
At present, the IITs are taking students on the basis of
cut-off prepared in view of the marks scored by students in
IIT Joint Entrance Examination. Consideration of Class XII
marks in the cut-off would ensure that meritorious students
get into the IIT stream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened