IIT-JEE panel for 70% weightage to Class XII marks
New Delhi: Seventy per cent weightage should
be given to Class XII performance of students while selecting
them for prestigious IITs, a high level panel has recommended.
The panel comprising directors of IIT-Kharagpur,
IIT-Madras, IIT-Bombay and IIT-Roorki has suggested that the
IIT-JEE will be replaced by a broad-based National Aptitude
Test (NAT). Thirty per cent weightage should be given to the
NAT, the panel has said.
"The committee has submitted a draft report. It has
favoured 70 per cent weightage to Class XII Board performance
of students and 30 per cent to NAT," HRD Minister Kapil Sibal
The proposed NAT will shortlist about 40,000 students who
will be again called for another add-on test, the panel has
The successful candidates in the add-on test will be
eligible for admission to any of the 15 IITs.
The proposed NAT will be a comprehensive examination to
test the students` raw talent than limiting it to certain
specific subjects or objective type questions.
The committee, headed by IIT Kharagpur director Damodar
Acharya, has submitted the draft report after holding
Sibal said the ministry has not accepted the suggestions
yet and will take the matter to the IIT Council.
"We will take it to IIT Council after which the government
will take a decision," the minister said.
According to an IIT director, the proposed NAT will have
questions from all streams, including Science and Humanities
of Class XII level.
Sibal had set up the committee in February this year to
study the existing JEE structure and suggest improvement in
The weightage on Class XII marks while preparing the
cut-off for the admission into these elite institutes will
discourage students from going to private coaching institutes.
At present, the IITs are taking students on the basis of
cut-off prepared in view of the marks scored by students in
IIT Joint Entrance Examination. Consideration of Class XII
marks in the cut-off would ensure that meritorious students
get into the IIT stream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued