IIT-JEE should be made more inclusive: Anand Kumar
Mumbai: IIT-JEE should be made more inclusive by providing adequate opportunities to talented students from underprivileged families residing in rural areas, Super 30 founder and mathematician Anand Kumar said here.
"As the students from poor families in rural areas start off with serious disadvantages, they need an additional chance. They don`t lack talent, but do lack opportunities. Education means empowerment and it has to be non-discriminatory," Kumar said while speaking at the two-day entrepreneur summit organised at IIT Bombay recently.
He said considering the "harsh ground realities", the JEE Board should give its policy a "relook" and not to make 80 percentile a deciding factor for the eligibility.
"Today, there is greater dependence on coaching, contrary to what was expected, as students go for it at every level," Kumar said.
Stressing the need to inculcate values among the students passing out from an institution like IIT, he said, "These students should also spare a thought for India`s pressing problems like poverty, illiteracy, agriculture productivity, among others."
"Today, majority of our qualified youth go after fat packages and foreign opportunities. They should also work for the nation to make life better and easier for others," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says