IIT-K official suggests common class XII board
Kanpur: A uniform board for class XII should
be introduced across the country before changing the existing
eligibility criteria for the IIT-joint entrance examination, a
senior official of IIT-Kanpur on Tuesday said.
"The move would be successful only when a uniform board
for class XII is introduced in the country," Registrar of
IIT-K Sanjeev Kalsekar said.
Though the proposal by Union HRD Minister Kapil Sibal to
revise the existing criteria for engineering aspirants has not
been implemented so far and the decision will be taken only
after the meeting of the IIT council, Kalsekar said.
Under the proposal mooted by Sibal yesterday, a student
would have to secure at least 80 per cent marks in their class
XII board examination to sit for the IIT-JEE instead of 60 per
cent required currently for such aspirants.
A number of students pursuing various courses in the
campus also opined that the step would be inappropriate
without a uniform class XII board.
"In Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and other state boards, it is
difficult to secure 80 per cent marks, while clearing the IIT
entrance is comparatively easier" Chandrashekhar, who is
pursuing Phd in Chemical Engineering, said.
"If the centre implements this proposal then parents
would prefer imparting education to their children through
CBSE or ICSE boards only. Therefore the centre must introduce
CBSE and ICSE boards in all educational institutes in India,"
said Omendra, who completed B-Tech from the campus.
"I know a lot of students who have cleared the IIT
entrance inspite of securing just 60 per cent in the state
boards, while a lot of others with over 80 per cent in CBSE
and ICSE never cleared it," he said.
Former president of IIT-Kanpur students` Union Mohit Jali
alleged that the central government through this proposal aims
at providing ample opportunities for students from CBSE and
ICSE board and make it impossible for those coming from other
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list