IIT-K sets up counselling, yoga centres for students
Kanpur: IIT-Kanpur has set up counselling and
yoga centres on the campus to help students cope with stress
which, at times, leads them to contemplating suicide.
"Counselling and yoga centres have been set up on the
premises for the students. Two psychiatrists are also there to
counsel those undergoing stress," IIT-K Registrar Sanjeev
This step has been taken to counter stress level and in
the wake of rising suicidal tendency among them. Seven
students of the institute have committed suicide in last five
years, he said.
The students undergo through stress due to various
reasons like parental and peer pressure, study pressure and
good job prospects.
"Many times, students take admission in IITs to fulfil
their parents` wishes, whereas their interest lies into other
fields like singing, acting or arts. This too become a problem
for them," he said.
A 22-year-old IIT-K student who was undergoing treatment
for mental illness died in a hospital yesterday.
On January 3, 2009, G Suman (24) a students of M.Tech
allegedly committed suicide as the student was denied a campus
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details