IIT-K sets up counselling, yoga centres for students
Kanpur: IIT-Kanpur has set up counselling and
yoga centres on the campus to help students cope with stress
which, at times, leads them to contemplating suicide.
"Counselling and yoga centres have been set up on the
premises for the students. Two psychiatrists are also there to
counsel those undergoing stress," IIT-K Registrar Sanjeev
This step has been taken to counter stress level and in
the wake of rising suicidal tendency among them. Seven
students of the institute have committed suicide in last five
years, he said.
The students undergo through stress due to various
reasons like parental and peer pressure, study pressure and
good job prospects.
"Many times, students take admission in IITs to fulfil
their parents` wishes, whereas their interest lies into other
fields like singing, acting or arts. This too become a problem
for them," he said.
A 22-year-old IIT-K student who was undergoing treatment
for mental illness died in a hospital yesterday.
On January 3, 2009, G Suman (24) a students of M.Tech
allegedly committed suicide as the student was denied a campus
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price