IIT-K sets up counselling, yoga centres for students
Kanpur: IIT-Kanpur has set up counselling and
yoga centres on the campus to help students cope with stress
which, at times, leads them to contemplating suicide.
"Counselling and yoga centres have been set up on the
premises for the students. Two psychiatrists are also there to
counsel those undergoing stress," IIT-K Registrar Sanjeev
This step has been taken to counter stress level and in
the wake of rising suicidal tendency among them. Seven
students of the institute have committed suicide in last five
years, he said.
The students undergo through stress due to various
reasons like parental and peer pressure, study pressure and
good job prospects.
"Many times, students take admission in IITs to fulfil
their parents` wishes, whereas their interest lies into other
fields like singing, acting or arts. This too become a problem
for them," he said.
A 22-year-old IIT-K student who was undergoing treatment
for mental illness died in a hospital yesterday.
On January 3, 2009, G Suman (24) a students of M.Tech
allegedly committed suicide as the student was denied a campus
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Video: How Wales's players celebrated rivals England's exit from the Euro 2016. Crazy!
- Anna Hazare unveils poster of his biopic
- Heartbreaking! Nobody tried to save my daughter as she bled to death, says Infosys employee's father
- Barack Obama has trouble recalling deaths on 'Game of Thrones'
- Kriti Sanon denies holidaying in Thailand with Sushant Singh Rajput