IIT-Kanpur plans presence in Bangalore, US
Bangalore: The Indian Institute of Technology-Kanpur (IIT-K) plans a presence in India`s IT hub here, the US and Malaysia, institute director SG Dhande said here on Saturday.
IIT-K intends to set up research centres in the US and Malaysia as part of a plan to compete with top universities, he said.
The presence in Bangalore, the US and Malaysia will be preceded by establishing a centre at Noida, near the national capital, the institute`s first footprint outside Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh, Dhande told an innovation convention here.
The convention was organised by IIT-K alumni as part of the golden jubilee celebrations of the institute.
Dhande did not elaborate on the kind of presence the institute planned in Bangalore, which has transformed into a major hub of new economy sectors such information technology and biotechnology.
In Malayasia, the IIT-K plans a research centre in Penang while the facility in the US may come up either in Silicon Valley, Boston or Washington, Dhande said.
Opening up of centres abroad was essential to compete internationally, he said.
"If we want to be internationally recognised, we must have presence in different parts of the world," Dhande said.
Karnataka has been pleading with the central government that an IIT be set up in the state. The central government has promised to do so but no time frame has been indicated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!