IIT-Kanpur to accept common entrance as ‘interim’ measure
Kanpur/New Delhi: IIT-Kanpur on Saturday decided to accept the common entrance based on percentile ranking as an "interim" measure only for 2013 and retain the existing eligibility condition for students who passed their board examination in 2012.
For 2014 and onwards, it suggested constitution of a senate committee which will study all aspects of the admission process and arrive at recommendations.
Further, it said the number of students to be filtered for the advance exam in 2013 under the new two-tier format should be decided based on the nature of the test. As per the format adopted by IIT Council, about 1.50 lakh students are to be screened for the advanced test.
"The Joint Admission Board is expected to meet soon to decide whether the test would be of subjective type or objective. After that we can take a view about the number of students to be screened for the advance," said a faculty member of IIT-Kanpur.
At a meeting today, IIT-Kanpur senate, which was the first to reject the common entrance under a proposed format, resolved to "accept as an interim measure for JEE 2013 the IIT council`s decision keeping in view the urgent need to remove uncertainties from the minds of students".
The meeting was called to examine IIT Council`s decision of June 27 here which adopted the common entrance test under a compromise formula for admission to undergraduate programme based on percentile ranking of students in their boards.
The senate decided that students who have passed out their board exam in 2012 should not be disturbed with the new format and allowed to appear as per the existing eligibility condition in 2013 also. As per the existing criteria, students are given two chances to clear the IIT-JEE.
IIT council, at its crucial meeting here on June 27, had
adopted the percentile ranking system under a compromise formula, bringing to an end the deadlock between the government and the IITs which had been opposing giving weightages to board results.
Under this formula, those students will be taken into account for admission to the undergraduate programme having top 20 percentile of their respective boards.
IIT-Bombay had adopted this format at a senate meeting earlier this week but resolved to keep at 50,000 the number of students who would be screened for the advance test.
IIT-Kanpur senate, however, felt a broadbased study taking all aspects should be taken into consideration to decide the nature of the entrance test for 2014 and beyond.
"For JEE 2014 and beyond a Senate committee be constituted that will study all aspects of the admission process and arrive at recommendations," it said in its resolution.
It said the study should be based on sound methodological principles supported by data collected from appropriate original sources.
Supporting a two-tier exam process, it said stage one should act as a filter stage and stage should be completely under the control of IIT.
In addition to Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, it resolution also underlined the fact that students should also be tested for general aptitude and other skills at some stage.
"The senate also recommends that JAB should constitute a separate committee consisting of representatives nominated by senates of the IITs to advise JAB on the nature of the IIT entrance test and the process of admission," it resolution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof