IIT Kharagpur alumnus killed in US
Washington: An Indian computer scientist, who was brutally attacked by three juveniles three days ago while taking a walk with his family in a New Jersey suburb succumbed to his injuries on Monday, police said.
The three 17-year-old assailants, whose names have
been withheld because of their age, have been arrested and now
charged with homicide, they said.
49-year-old Divyendu Sinha, an IIT Kharagpur alumnus
and presently working as a consultant with Siemens, sustained
injuries after he was attacked by three teenagers on Friday
night when he was walking with his family near his home in Old
Bridge in New Jersey.
His two sons, who were also accompanying him, were not
seriously injured in the attack.
Local prosecutor, Bruce Kaplan, said the preliminary
investigation into the attack on Sinha indicate that the
assault was "not racially motivated" but rather a random
However, the police said that a final determination on
the motive would be determined only after the investigation
According to Prakash Waghmare, a friend of Sinha for
10 years, his friend was "a very gentle person". After
graduating from IIT Kharagpur he earned his Ph D from Stevens
Institute of Technology in Hoboken in New Jersey and worked
for a time at the College of Staten Island.
Sinha, who has also authored several books on computer
imaging, and his sons were going for a walk when "a car came
by and they pounced on him." The police received 911 call
around 11-30 pm, Waghmare quoted as saying by the local Star
When the police arrived, Sinha was found on the ground
outside his house. Friends and family have organised a memorial service
for Sinha today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!