IITian named director of MIT’s lab
Boston: The prestigious Massachusetts
Institute of Technology (MIT) has named Indian academician
Anant Agarwal as director of its Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), the institute`s
largest interdisciplinary lab.
An IIT Chennai and Stanford University alumnus,
Agarwal will assume his new role on July 1.
A professor in the Department of Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science, Agarwal succeeds Victor Zue,
who served four years as CSAIL’s director.
The key appointment comes days after MIT named another
Indian-origin professor Anantha Chandrakasan to lead the
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, the
largest academic department in the institute.
Chandrakasan is Professor of Electrical Engineering at
MIT and will also be assuming his new role on July 1.
School of Engineering Dean Ian Waitz said he looked
forward to Agarwal`s "vision and enthusiasm as he takes on
this important leadership role."
Agarwal is currently the leader of the Carbon Research
Group at CSAIL, which is dedicated to researching and
developing operating systems and architectures for multicore
and cloud computing.
Currently, he leads Project Angstrom, a
multidisciplinary research endeavour uniting scientists from
top universities and industry collaborators in an effort to
develop a new multicore system.
Agarwal is a founder and chief technology officer of
Tilera Corporation, where the Tile multicore processor was
CSAIL is MIT’s largest interdepartmental laboratory,
with 900 members and more than 100 principal investigators
coming from eight departments.
It includes approximately 50 research groups organised
into three focus areas of artificial intelligence, systems and
The research groups are supported by grants from US
government agencies such as the Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency, NASA, the National Institutes of Health, the
National Science Foundation among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble