IITian named director of MIT’s lab
Boston: The prestigious Massachusetts
Institute of Technology (MIT) has named Indian academician
Anant Agarwal as director of its Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL), the institute`s
largest interdisciplinary lab.
An IIT Chennai and Stanford University alumnus,
Agarwal will assume his new role on July 1.
A professor in the Department of Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science, Agarwal succeeds Victor Zue,
who served four years as CSAIL’s director.
The key appointment comes days after MIT named another
Indian-origin professor Anantha Chandrakasan to lead the
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, the
largest academic department in the institute.
Chandrakasan is Professor of Electrical Engineering at
MIT and will also be assuming his new role on July 1.
School of Engineering Dean Ian Waitz said he looked
forward to Agarwal`s "vision and enthusiasm as he takes on
this important leadership role."
Agarwal is currently the leader of the Carbon Research
Group at CSAIL, which is dedicated to researching and
developing operating systems and architectures for multicore
and cloud computing.
Currently, he leads Project Angstrom, a
multidisciplinary research endeavour uniting scientists from
top universities and industry collaborators in an effort to
develop a new multicore system.
Agarwal is a founder and chief technology officer of
Tilera Corporation, where the Tile multicore processor was
CSAIL is MIT’s largest interdepartmental laboratory,
with 900 members and more than 100 principal investigators
coming from eight departments.
It includes approximately 50 research groups organised
into three focus areas of artificial intelligence, systems and
The research groups are supported by grants from US
government agencies such as the Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency, NASA, the National Institutes of Health, the
National Science Foundation among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview