IK Gujral was ahead of his times: Rajapaksa
Colombo: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa joined other leaders from South Asia in condoling the death of former Indian premier IK Gujral, describing him as a distinguished leader who was ahead of his times.
In a message of condolence sent to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa said Gujral was an outstanding public figure who worked for the well being of Indians and the people of South Asia as a whole.
"Shri Gujral was ahead of his times in a rapidly globalising world," he said.
"Sri Lanka will always remember with gratitude, Shri IK Gujral`s contribution towards strengthening India-Sri Lanka relations and regional cooperation," he said in his message.
In his condolence message, Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Parvez Ashraf recalled the "admirable role" Gujral played in bringing India and Pakistan closer and said the region had lost a noble and distinguished politician.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is sending a senior leader of her party Awami League to represent her at the funeral of Gujral.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hindu Mahasabha chief Swami Chakrapani gets Z-category security after threats from 'D-Company'
- Three females drown in Sai river
- Google empowers students, unveils free online educational tool
- 7th Pay Commission: Overview and Highlights
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani teamed up for 'Befikra' because of THIS actor?