`Illegal constructions in Park Street could be during TC rule`
New Delhi: Taking a dig at Trinamool
Congress chief Mamata Banerjee over her comments on the Park
Street blaze, a senior CPI(M) leader from West Bengal Thursday
indicated the possibility of illegal constructions at the
accident site being approved when the opposition was in power
in the Kolkata municipal body.
"If they (opposition Trinamool) point towards
corruption and irregularities, then it may come out (after
investigations) that they were themselves involved," Bose, who
is here to attend the CPI(M) Politburo meeting, said.
He was asked about statements by Banerjee and her
party leaders blaming the Left Front for regularising illegal
structures at Stephens Court which caught fire claiming at
least 24 lives.
Trinamool Congress had led the Kolkata Muncipal
Corporation for several years but were routed out in the June
2005 polls by the Left Front.
To a spate of questions on the incident, Bose took a
dig at Banerjee saying "whatever fire-fighting took place
there was done under her direction. You ask her".
"I don`t want to pass any comment because Mamata
Banerjee had gone there and directed everything. It is
published in the Bengali press," Bose said.
He said investigations were already on as to how the
fire started and spread. "All steps to ensure that such
incidents do not recur, needs to be taken urgently".
The CPI(M) leader also praised the fire service
workers, saying they garnered their entire strength and worked
through the night to ensure that more lives were not lost.
A massive fire swept through the 150-year-old
multi-storeyed heritage building housing offices and
residences in Kolkata`s busy Park Street leaving at least 24
dead and 20 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez