`Illegal constructions in Park Street could be during TC rule`
New Delhi: Taking a dig at Trinamool
Congress chief Mamata Banerjee over her comments on the Park
Street blaze, a senior CPI(M) leader from West Bengal Thursday
indicated the possibility of illegal constructions at the
accident site being approved when the opposition was in power
in the Kolkata municipal body.
"If they (opposition Trinamool) point towards
corruption and irregularities, then it may come out (after
investigations) that they were themselves involved," Bose, who
is here to attend the CPI(M) Politburo meeting, said.
He was asked about statements by Banerjee and her
party leaders blaming the Left Front for regularising illegal
structures at Stephens Court which caught fire claiming at
least 24 lives.
Trinamool Congress had led the Kolkata Muncipal
Corporation for several years but were routed out in the June
2005 polls by the Left Front.
To a spate of questions on the incident, Bose took a
dig at Banerjee saying "whatever fire-fighting took place
there was done under her direction. You ask her".
"I don`t want to pass any comment because Mamata
Banerjee had gone there and directed everything. It is
published in the Bengali press," Bose said.
He said investigations were already on as to how the
fire started and spread. "All steps to ensure that such
incidents do not recur, needs to be taken urgently".
The CPI(M) leader also praised the fire service
workers, saying they garnered their entire strength and worked
through the night to ensure that more lives were not lost.
A massive fire swept through the 150-year-old
multi-storeyed heritage building housing offices and
residences in Kolkata`s busy Park Street leaving at least 24
dead and 20 injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145