Illegal migrants responsible for attacks on NE people: Gadkari
New Delhi: BJP president Nitin Gadkari on Thursday alleged that illegal migrants living in Assam and other parts of the country are responsible for the attacks on people from the North East and the recent violence at Mumbai`s Azad Maidan.
"The attacks in some parts of the country on people from the North East is unfortunate... These are being perpetrated by illegal migrants living in the country. There is a foreign hand in this. The Centre should deal firmly with such incidents," Gadkari told a news agency.
"The problem in Assam is not religious or communal but that of the Indian versus the outsider. Anti-national people are involved in this violence. Similarly, in Mumbai the crowd had waived Pakistani flag and made provocative remarks. They also vandalised the martyrs` memorial," Gadkari said.
Gadkari said he has directed Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar as well as CMs of other BJP ruled states to ensure that no harm is done to people from the North East residing in their states.
He said Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok went to the Bangalore railway station and assured the North East people that there was no cause for panic and urged them not to leave the state.
"The political parties should not use this issue for vote bank politics," Gadkari added.
The violence against the people from the North East and Assam would be discussed at a meeting of BJP chief ministers to be held on Saturday, Gadkari said.
BJP also condemned the attack on media and the assault on women police personnel by the demonstrators at Azad Maidan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP