Illegal migrants to be verified: Census official
Shillong: All "usual residents" will be
included in the Census initially, but a verification will be
carried out later to ensure there is no inclusion of illegal
migrants in Meghalaya, a Census official said today.
"Initially all usual residents will be enumerated.
Later, we will verify them through the registrars of
respective districts," Meghalaya Census Operation director, K
L Tariang told reporters when his attention was drawn to the
fear of the people about inclusion of illegal migrants in the
National Population Register.
The verification process would be taken up at a later
stage, he said.
Official sources said special instructions had been
given to the district magistrates of the border areas to be
careful while conducting the census exercise to ensure that
names of intruders were not included.
There has been frequent reports of overstaying and
disappearance of Bangladeshis who come to India with more than
70,000 people travelling on valid documents still missing
since 2006 in addition to illegal immigrants, according to
On an average about 21,000 Bangladeshis, who come with
regular visas, either go missing or have been overstaying
every year in the country, according to home ministry
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future