Illegal migration: Canada seeks Punjab cooperation
Chandigarh: Canada today today sought Punjab
government`s cooperation to address the issues of fraudulent
visa cases that had created a major problem for both Canadian
and Indian governments.
Consul General of Canada Scot Slessor, immediately after
assuming office, called on Badal at the Chief Minister`s
residence here, an official spokesman said.
Slessor told the Chief Minister that Canadian Minister
for Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Jason Kenney
would visit Chandigarh on September 9 to interact with the top
brass of civil and police administration of Punjab to find a
permanent solution to curb illegal immigration.
Badal urged the Consul General to establish skill develop
Centre in collaboration with the state government and key
players from Canada to train our unemployed youth as per the
requirement of the industry in Canada on a pilot project
basis, which could be later replicated in all district
He said Punjabis by nature were very innovative and
enterprising and had already made their presence felt in the
Middle East, Europe and USA with enormous contribution towards
economic development and growth there.
He hoped this initiative would go a long way to check the
abuse of immigration for seeking greener pastures especially
by unemployed youth of Punjab who were often duped by fraud
travel agents and immigration consultants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued