Illegal migration of people a cause of concern: Faleiro
Panaji: The illegal migration of people from
the country is a major cause of concern, Eduardo Faleiro,
Commissioner of NRI affairs in Goa and former minister of
state, external affairs said on Friday.
"There is lot of illegal migration. People go to various
countries on tourist visas and later start working there,"
Faleiro told reporters here.
He said that it is not only the Gulf countries where
the people migrate illegally but they also go to other
destinations including European countries.
Faleiro said that cutting down on fake travel agents and
routing the emigration of people only through government
agencies could stem the rot.
"We have signed MoU with Gulf countries which makes it
mandatory for the people going there for jobs to pass through
government agencies, he said.
The NRI Commissioner said that many people, who opt for
jobs illegally, later get stuck in those countries as they
have to surrender their passports to the employer. They are
then left at the mercy of employer, he commented.
Faleiro, referring to voting rights of non resident
Indians, said the right to vote has been accorded
constitutional status. But, at present the NRIs cannot vote as
they are not ordinarily resident in the constituency, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok