Ilyas Kashmiri, Rtd Pak Army Major charged in Denmark plot
Chicago: Ilyas Kashmiri, the dreaded
Pakistani terrorist, belonging to the radical Harakat-ul Jihad
Islami (HUJI), has been indicted in a US court for the first
time in connection with a plot to target a Danish newspaper
which had published offensive cartoons of Prophet Mohammad.
Kashmiri was charged along with former Pakistani Army
major Abdur Rehman Hashim Syed had conspired with David
Coleman Headley and Tahawwur Hussein Rana for conspiracy to
target Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.
While Rehman was arrested by Pakistani intelligence
agencies and later let off, Kashmiri, said to have close links
with al Qaeda and Pakistani Taliban is believed to be
sheltered by them in the lawless Waziristan region.
A recent Pakistani media report said Kashmiri had a hand
in coordinating the suicide strike on the top secret CIA base
in Khost eastern Afghanistan that killed eight operatives.
US authorities, the report said, have asked Pakistan to
hunt down and extradite the dreaded terrorist.
Kashmiri, who belongs to kotli district of Mirpur in PoK
was during the 1990s apprehended by the Indian Army in Poonch
and was jailed for two years, before he escaped.
On return to Pakistan, he floated his own faction of HuJI
and was arrested in 2003 in the wake of an attempt to
assassinate then President Pervez Musharraf, but was released
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them