I`m a Bengali, says Tipu Sultan`s descendant
Kolkata: Bespectacled and grey hair brushed back, Husain Shah, 70, is the quintessential elderly Bengali man next door. But within him he carries a historic legacy, as a direct descendant of Tipu Sultan, the king of Mysore who valiantly fought the British.
"We are born and brought up in Kolkata now for many generations; so that makes me a Bengali," says Husain Shah of his identity. He`s a businessman, the owner of an agency that supplies fuel to retailers.
Tipu was the grandfather of Husain Shah`s great grandfather Anwar Shah, who has a major thoroughfare named after him in Kolkata.
Tipu, the king of Mysore, was defeated and killed at Srirangapatanam (near Bangalore) by the British Army in 1799, ending thereby the last hurdle to the colonial conquest of southern India.
Shah narrates the story of how the family came to be in this city.
"After Tipu was killed by the British in Mysore, his 12 sons and relatives, a group of 300 people, were sent to Kolkata, so as to prevent the family from becoming a rallying point of revolt against British rule," Husain Shah said.
"Here they were in a distant land among the people of a different language and history whom it would be difficult to provoke by invoking the heroism of Hyder Ali and his son Tipu Sultan."
And so the first family of the Mysore kingdom became a part of the mosaic of modern India`s pre-eminent city, Kolkata, which as the colonial capital and a major trading centre, drew people from different parts of the country. The family members were given official pension and plots to settle in the southern fringe called Tollygunge. Like prescient investors, the deported family acquired assets in a growing 19th century Kolkata.
There is an obvious contrast between Shah`s royal ancestry and his upper middle class way of life in the city today.
He lives in a fairly large flat in a new multi-storey apartment block that overlooks the Hoogly River. He moved in there only a couple of years ago and was living earlier in Park Circus, an old locality of the city. He has a joint family, with both his sons - one a lawyer and another a chartered accountant - living with him.
Shah has no memorabilia reflecting his regal ancestry. But there is a handful of gold, silver and copper coins minted in Tipu`s time, which Shah, for sentimental reasons, acquired at a considerable cost from sources reached through the internet. He also has documentation related to Tipu, that is, books with photographs and a copy of the Treaty of Seringapatam that confirmed Mysore`s surrender to the British.
But don`t go looking for personal family memories of Tipu, as Shah says there are "none" - settled as they were in a distant place with the express intent of severing their links with the past. But Shah likes researching the historical significance of Tipu and the Mysore kingdom.
He points out that a major debate in Indian history concerns whether indigenous impulses to modernize would have taken off if the British had failed to conquer India. "The key to this riddle possibly remains in the modernizing potential of the kingdoms and elites of the time," opined Shah.
"According to Jean-Marie Lafont, a French scholar, Maharaja Ranjit Singh`s kingdom in the Punjab displayed signs of such potential. It was strong and secular, with Ranjit Singh as a moderniser who made innovations to his administration and army with the help of French officers. Thus he could become such a formidable challenge to the British."
The Mysore kingdom had posed an equally stiff challenge in the south at the turn of that century.
According to a contemporary chronicler, Tipu`s father Hyder Ali was from a family of migrants from north India which later settled in Karnataka.
"Both Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan made efforts similar to Ranjit Singh`s to modernise and strengthen their capabilities against the British by employing French advisors. But such efforts to protect and nurture the nation`s potential were not spread widely enough at the time," said Shah.
Kolkata has many landmarks commemorating Tipu, the most famous being an elegant mosque in the centre of the city. The Royal Calcutta Golf Club, catering to the city`s elite since the 19th century, stands on property on lease from the descendants of Tipu Sultan.
At one time, the properties of Tipu`s sons in Kolkata included sizeable chunks in the business district comprising Chowringhee, Park Street and Theatre Road, besides large tracts of land in the southern parts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'