This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

IM emails a routine after blasts

Last Updated: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 - 18:34

Mumbai: The e-mail purportedly sent by
terror outfit Indian Mujahideen claiming responsibility for
the Varanasi blast is not the first such electronic mail
linking Mumbai and Navi Mumbai to terror attacks.

The homegrown terror organisation had sent several
such emails in the past to claim responsibility for blasts in
different parts of the country.

An email was sent by the banned outfit to several
media organisations after the Delhi`s Jama Masjid firing
incident this September and it was traced to suburban
Borivali. It was sent using a Tata mobile phone procured using
fake documents. Police suspect the email was sent through a
proxy server located in a foreign country to hoodwink security
After the September 13, 2008 blasts in Delhi, an IM
email claiming responsibility for the explosions was sent and
the IP address was traced to Chembur, an eastern suburb of
Mumbai. The unsecured Wireless Fidelity (WiFi) of a firm
"Kamran Power Control Pvt Ltd" was hacked into and used for
sending the mail.

Five blasts took place within a span of 31 minutes in
busy markets and commercial localities in Delhi leaving at
least 30 dead any many more wounded. Four bombs were defused.

In August 2008, an email was sent to various media
organisations by IM that boasted about its involvement in
several blasts in the country. The mail ridiculed Intelligence
Bureau as "Ignorance Bureau" and forensic experts as

The IP address of this email was traced to unsecured
WiFi network of Khalsa College, Matunga, in central Mumbai.

In July, 2008, the IM had used an unprotected WiFi
network at the Navi Mumbai residence of American national
Kenneth Haywood to send a similar email to news organisations
about the Ahmedabad explosions.
The Varanasi blast-related email was sent after
hacking into a broadband Internet connection of a Navi Mumbai
resident, police sources said.

The unsecured WiFi was used to send the five-page
email after which two persons were questioned and later let
off, they said.


First Published: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 - 18:34
comments powered by Disqus