New Delhi: Suspected Indian Mujahideen
terrorists, who carried out serial blasts across the country
in 2008, were in touch with each other, Delhi police claimed
before a court today.
"Abu Bashar, arrested for his alleged role in July 26,
2008, Ahmedabad serial blasts, was in touch with one Mohd
Sadiq who in turn was in constant contact with Atif Ameen,
killed in Batla House encounter here on September 19, 2008,"
Rajeev Mohan, public prosecutor, told Additional Sessions
Judge Santosh Snehi Mann.
The prosecutor was putting forth arguments on framing of
charges against 14 suspected IM terrorists allegedly involved
in the serial blasts on September 13, 2008.
Mohan referred to mobile phone records and conversations
of Ameen as well as other accused to prove his contention.
He also related the turn of events, including visit of one
of the accused Mohd Saif along with another accused under the
assumed name of R Khan and A Khan to Udupi in Karnataka to
procure explosives -- ammonium nitrate -- to be used in
Saif has been identified by witnesses as the person who
stayed in Karnataka for the purpose, he claimed.
The prosecutor also read out the intercepted conversation
between Ameen and Mohd Shakeel, who allegedly planted a bomb
in an auto-rickshaw, to buttress his arguments with regard to
He also told the court how Shakeel allegedly obtained ball
bearings from Chandani Chowk here and Mohd Hakim procured them
The arguments of the prosecutor remained inconclusive and
are likely to continue tomorrow.
The proceedings in the matter are conducted through video
conferencing as 11 out of 14 accused arrested so far in
connection with the five cases registered in connection with
the serial blasts are lodged in Sabarmati Jail in Ahmedabad.
Three accused Mohd Hakim, Sahzad and Salman are at present
lodged in Tihar jail here.
All the accused have been chargesheeted under various
provisions of IPC, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and
Explosive Substances Act.