IM remarks: Shakeel Ahmed meets Sonia Gandhi
New Delhi: Congress leader Shakeel Ahmed Tuesday met party chief Sonia Gandhi in the wake of controversy over his remarks linking 2002 Gujarat riots with birth of terror outfit Indian Mujahideen even as he accused BJP of diverting the nation`s attention from NIA`s "observations".
Party leaders remained tight-lipped over the meeting and on whether he was summoned by Gandhi following the controversy.
Ahmed`s remarks have not gone down well in the party, which distanced itself from the same yesterday with party spokesperson Renuka Choudhary saying, "It is not the party line as of now".
After BJP`s blistering attack on the Congress over his remarks that this was the ruling party`s "desperate strategy" to communalise the electorate ahead of the 2014 elections, Ahmed today hit back saying the opposition party was trying to divert the nation`s attention from the NIA`s observations.
"By dramatised hue & cry BJP spokespersons are trying to make it my statement simply to divert the nation`s attention from NIA`s observations," Ahmed said on Twitter.
He later stated that he was only saying what the NIA had said earlier.
"Indian Mujahideen (IM) was formed after the Gujarat riots, says NIA in its charge sheet. Even now BJP and RSS will not desist from their communal politics?" Ahmed had said on Twitter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player