Impartial, non-political bureaucracy important for informed decision making: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: A proficiently managed public civil service is the key to ensuring good governance and efficient delivery of services to the people, said President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday.
Delivering the fourth Lecture on the occasion of the foundation day of the Union Public Service Commission, Mukherjee said: "Civil services play the vital role of enforcing democratic values and assisting the government to serve the nation. The primary commitment of civil servants who serve for more than three decades is to the people."
"The job of civil servants is to give correct advice to the political leadership," he added.
Underlining the importance of having an impartial and non-political bureaucracy, Mukherjee said that informed decision making could only be achieved through realistic assessments.
"Transparency, accountablity are basic pillars of good governance. Transparency enhances predictability and enables the common man to take part in decision making," the president said.
He asked all stake holders to have a holistic view to ensure good governance and timely delivery of services to the people.
"Governance has taken a paradigm shift towards rights based empowerment of the people. The Right to Information Act, the Rural Employment Gurantee Act, the Right to Education and the recent Food Secutity Act are major milestones in this direction," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...