Impartial, non-political bureaucracy important for informed decision making: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: A proficiently managed public civil service is the key to ensuring good governance and efficient delivery of services to the people, said President Pranab Mukherjee on Friday.
Delivering the fourth Lecture on the occasion of the foundation day of the Union Public Service Commission, Mukherjee said: "Civil services play the vital role of enforcing democratic values and assisting the government to serve the nation. The primary commitment of civil servants who serve for more than three decades is to the people."
"The job of civil servants is to give correct advice to the political leadership," he added.
Underlining the importance of having an impartial and non-political bureaucracy, Mukherjee said that informed decision making could only be achieved through realistic assessments.
"Transparency, accountablity are basic pillars of good governance. Transparency enhances predictability and enables the common man to take part in decision making," the president said.
He asked all stake holders to have a holistic view to ensure good governance and timely delivery of services to the people.
"Governance has taken a paradigm shift towards rights based empowerment of the people. The Right to Information Act, the Rural Employment Gurantee Act, the Right to Education and the recent Food Secutity Act are major milestones in this direction," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'