Impeachment now irrelevant: Dinkaran to RS panel
New Delhi: Former Sikkim High Court Chief
Justice PD Dinakaran has told the Rajya Sabha-appointed panel
that impeachment proceedings against him are irrelevant after
his resignation and cited Parliament`s decision to drop the
move against Calcutta High Court judge Justice Soumitra Sen.
Asserting that the proceedings have now become
infructous and "functuous officio" irrelevant, Dinakaran also
charged the committee with having a "pre-disposed" bias
In a letter addressed to the Registrar of the Committee
on Wednesday, Justice Dinakaran maintained that any further
proceedings against him by the panel would be "illegal,"
"improper," and "contrary to law."
Lok Sabha dropped the impeachment proceedings against
Sen after he resigned just days after Rajya Sabha impeached
Dinakaran`s letter came in the wake of the notice issued
to him on August 19 by the three-member panel to ascertain his
views as to what would be the effect of his resignation on the
The panel headed by Supreme Court judge Justice Aftab
Alam had issued notice to Dinakaran after the Chennai-based
advocate R Vaigai of Forum of Judicial Accountability in an
application sought continuation of the proceedings against the
former Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court.
The committee which was scheduled to meet today at
Justice Alam`s residence however, cancelled its sitting for an
unspecified reason. Attorney General G E Vahanvati was
scheduled to assist the panel in today`s meeting
However, informed sources said that the meeting was not
held as one of the committee members and Chief Justice of
the Karnataka High Court Justice J S Khehar was in the process
of being elevated to the Supreme Court and his warrant of
appointment from the President was expected shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya