Impeachment now irrelevant: Dinkaran to RS panel
New Delhi: Former Sikkim High Court Chief
Justice PD Dinakaran has told the Rajya Sabha-appointed panel
that impeachment proceedings against him are irrelevant after
his resignation and cited Parliament`s decision to drop the
move against Calcutta High Court judge Justice Soumitra Sen.
Asserting that the proceedings have now become
infructous and "functuous officio" irrelevant, Dinakaran also
charged the committee with having a "pre-disposed" bias
In a letter addressed to the Registrar of the Committee
on Wednesday, Justice Dinakaran maintained that any further
proceedings against him by the panel would be "illegal,"
"improper," and "contrary to law."
Lok Sabha dropped the impeachment proceedings against
Sen after he resigned just days after Rajya Sabha impeached
Dinakaran`s letter came in the wake of the notice issued
to him on August 19 by the three-member panel to ascertain his
views as to what would be the effect of his resignation on the
The panel headed by Supreme Court judge Justice Aftab
Alam had issued notice to Dinakaran after the Chennai-based
advocate R Vaigai of Forum of Judicial Accountability in an
application sought continuation of the proceedings against the
former Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court.
The committee which was scheduled to meet today at
Justice Alam`s residence however, cancelled its sitting for an
unspecified reason. Attorney General G E Vahanvati was
scheduled to assist the panel in today`s meeting
However, informed sources said that the meeting was not
held as one of the committee members and Chief Justice of
the Karnataka High Court Justice J S Khehar was in the process
of being elevated to the Supreme Court and his warrant of
appointment from the President was expected shortly.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference