`Implementation of BDCA key to peace along India-China border`
Beijing: Proper handling of the border issue between India and China and implementation of the newly signed border defence pact are key to peace and stability along their borders, Chinese Foreign Minister has said.
The two countries should take concrete steps to increase strategic mutual trust to make it a wide consensus among the people of the two countries that China and India are true partners, not rivals, Wang Yi, who arrived in New Delhi yesterday on a two-day visit, said.
"Proper handling of the border issue between the two countries and common implementation of the newly signed Border Defence Cooperation pact are key for the maintenance of peace and stability in the border areas between the two countries," state-run Xinhua news agency today quoted Wang as telling External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid.
The Chinese Foreign Minister termed this year as "the Year of Harvest" in bilateral ties and said: "intensive interactions at the top level of the two governments have pushed forward Sino-Indian relations into a new stage of development".
Wang along with Khurshid reviewed the progress in bilateral ties made by the two countries over the past year.
He was in Delhi to attend the Russia, India, China (RIC) Foreign Ministers` meet besides participating in the Asia-Europe meeting.
Among other things, the two leaders also decided to press ahead with the construction of Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor, enhance cooperation on major projects, including high speed railway and power generation.
"The two sides are also committed to resolving the boundary issue and maintain tranquillity and peace in the border areas. The two sides said they should enhance their coordination in international affairs to safeguard their interests," Wang said.
Under the Border Defence Cooperation Agreement (BDCA) signed during Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit here last month, the two countries have sought to defuse recurring border stand-offs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends