Important bathing dates during Hardwar Kumbh Mela
Dehra Dun: Makarasankranti today would mark the first major bathing day of the three-month long Kumbh Mela in Hardwar.
According to the mela calendar, there will be seven major ``Snans`` (bathing days) including tomorrow`s Makarsankranti bath at the holy town. The last ``Snan``, the Mesh Sankranti Snan will fall on April 14.
The most important bathing dates during Hardwar Kumbh Mela 2010 are January 14 - Mahasankranti, January 15 - Mauni Amavasya, January 20 - Basant Panchami, January 30 - Magh Purnima, February 12 - Maha Shivaratri, February 15 - Somvati Amavasi Snan and April 14 - Mesha Sankranti Snan.
Kumbh Mela is the sacred holy pilgrimage in Hindu religion. It takes place once in 12 years at four holy locations in India - Allahabad, Nasik, Ujjain and Hardwar. Kumbh Mela-2010 is taking place at Hardwar.
As per Hindu religious tradition, Kumbh Mela takes place when the planet Jupiter enters Aquarius (Kumbha Rashi) and the Sun enters Aries (Mesha Rashi).
The popular belief is that bathing during Kumbh Mela helps in attaining ``Moksha``(salvation). Pilgrims and pandits from around the world arrive for the Mela, making it the largest religious congregation of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Monsoon special: Steal the show by going bold and beautiful with hairdos
- Brexit will put pressure on global growth: IMF deputy MD
- New survey lists out excuses Indians give to delay marriage – Check out
- Help me, I want to live: 11-year-old boy appeals to PM Modi
- Just found! Huge stash of ancient Helium in Africa's rift valley