Important bathing dates during Hardwar Kumbh Mela
Dehra Dun: Makarasankranti today would mark the first major bathing day of the three-month long Kumbh Mela in Hardwar.
According to the mela calendar, there will be seven major ``Snans`` (bathing days) including tomorrow`s Makarsankranti bath at the holy town. The last ``Snan``, the Mesh Sankranti Snan will fall on April 14.
The most important bathing dates during Hardwar Kumbh Mela 2010 are January 14 - Mahasankranti, January 15 - Mauni Amavasya, January 20 - Basant Panchami, January 30 - Magh Purnima, February 12 - Maha Shivaratri, February 15 - Somvati Amavasi Snan and April 14 - Mesha Sankranti Snan.
Kumbh Mela is the sacred holy pilgrimage in Hindu religion. It takes place once in 12 years at four holy locations in India - Allahabad, Nasik, Ujjain and Hardwar. Kumbh Mela-2010 is taking place at Hardwar.
As per Hindu religious tradition, Kumbh Mela takes place when the planet Jupiter enters Aquarius (Kumbha Rashi) and the Sun enters Aries (Mesha Rashi).
The popular belief is that bathing during Kumbh Mela helps in attaining ``Moksha``(salvation). Pilgrims and pandits from around the world arrive for the Mela, making it the largest religious congregation of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi