Important for House to run in Budget Session: Speaker
New Delhi: As Parliament remains paralysed over coal scam and other issues, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar today said it is important to run the House and get the financial bills passed during the Budget Session.
"It is important for the House to run, especially when it is the Budget Session, as we have to pass financial bills which is a constitutional requirement," she said.
Kumar was talking to reporters after unveiling a bust of K M Munshi on his 125 birth anniversary at Bhartiya Vidya Bhavan here. Munshi had founded Bhavan in 1938.
When asked how she plans to resolve the situation, she said, "I have been appealing to all the members to ensure that the House functions."
Kumar, however, refused to respond to questions over BJP`s decision to boycott meetings convened by her and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath.
"I don`t want to discuss the matter in public," she said.
Opposition parties have been disrupting Parliament on the CBI`s coal scam report for the Supreme Court being vetted by Law Minister Ashwani Kumar and officials in PMO.
They have been demanding the resignation of the Law Minister and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
BJP had yesterday also decided to boycott meetings convened by the Speaker and Parliamentary Affairs Minister. The session is scheduled to conclude on May 10.
Earlier, addressing the gathering, Kumar expressed her concern over the rising incidents of crime against women.
Exhorting the people to work together in protecting the dignity of women, she said the problem will not be solved only with the law.
"The incidents of violence against women and girl child are matters of serious concern today. This problem will not be solved with formation of law only. We need to work together to ensure that no such unpleasant incident takes place around us," Kumar said.
The Lok Sabha Speaker also said that everyone must act with compassion and responsibility towards women.
"Everyone, whether a man or a woman, must act with responsibility and compassion towards females. They must ensure that the dignity of women are protected in all circumstances," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama