Impose Prez rule in UP, we will back you: BJP to Centre
New Delhi: Citing the communal riots in Muzaffarnagar, BJP on Monday demanded imposition of President`s Rule in the state alleging the law and order situation has gone out of government`s control and assured its support on the issue in Parliament.
In a statement, BJP president Rajnath Singh expressed deep sorrow and concern over the violence in Muzaffarnagar and appealed for calm.
"The communal atmosphere in Uttar Pradesh has been worsening under Samajwadi Party government. The law and order situation has gone from bad to worse. Dozens of communal riots have taken place in the last one and half years," Singh said.
He maintained if the Centre is aware of its constitutional responsibility, then it should dismiss the government and impose President`s Rule.
"BJP will fully support in Parliament any such move of the government," Singh said.
He alleged "these riots not only put under suspicion the incompetence and lack of foresight of the government but also the intentions of the UP government in restoring communal atmosphere to normalcy".
RSS also condemned the riots and demanded the state government ensure the rule of law in UP.
"It appears that in Uttar Pradesh the communal forces are being given protection in the name of secularism and several riots have taken place due to this," RSS propaganda chief Manmohan Vaidya told reporters.
He said there appears to be a common thread in the recent riots and the government should in a "non-partisan, firm manner" enforce the rule of law in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened