`Impressive growth in enrolment of girls in schools`
New Delhi: Enrolment of girls has shown an impressive growth in schools, a government survey on Monday revealed though the figure went down in higher classes.
The eighth all India education survey for 2002-09 by NCERT said while the enrolment at primary stage stood at 48.13 per cent, it came down to 42.56 percent at higher secondary stage.
Similar trend was observed in percentage of girl`s enrolment in schools in rural areas. Officials, however, said it was difficult to attribute specific reasons contributing to this trend.
The survey covered more than 13 lakhs recognised schools across the country in each habitation, village and urban areas, out of which more than 84.14 percent schools were rural areas.
During this period, 228,994,454 students enrolled in different recognised schools of the country. 13.67 percent growth was registered in student`s enrolment from Class I-XII. In case of girls, the enrolment registered was 19.12 percent.
Carried out before RTE regime, the survey revealed that schools in rural areas were still deprived of basic facilities like drinking water, usable urinal and playgrounds.
One-fifth of the total primary schools in rural areas did not have drinking water, three out of 10 schools were without usable urinal facilities, and about half of the schools did not have playgrounds, it said.
It noted that there was a 30 percent increase in number of teachers in the country and the growth of teachers in higher secondary schools increased by 34 percent.
However, in case of higher secondary education in rural areas, the growth was almost 50 percent. Forty percent of the primary schools have two teachers in each school.
It said pupil-teacher ratio has improved from the last survey in primary, upper primary and secondary schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly