‘In 1971 war, Pak Sub sunk for unknown reasons`
New Delhi: Forty years after the Indo-Pak
war, former Naval Chief Admiral Arun Prakash on Tuesday said the
Pakistani submarine PNS Ghazi had been sunk for "unknown
Addressing a gathering on the silver jubilee function of
the Army Aviation Corps, he said the PNS Ghazi had managed to
reach the eastern sea-board of the country and was sunk near
Vishakhapatnam due to "unknown reasons".
The Navy has maintained that the Pakistani ship was sunk
by one of its warships INS Rajput.
Prakash, who is a member of a Task Force set up by the
government to review national security, was throwing light on
the circumstances which led to the Navy being given the task
of aerial maritime reconnaissance in 1976.
Recalling the events related to the 1971 war, he said
another Pakistani submarine `PNS Hangor` had managed to lay
close to the Gujarat coast and later on sunk Indian frigate
INS Khukri causing loss of several lives in the incident.
Prakash, who headed Indian Navy between 2005 and 2007,
was a junior officer attached to the IAF during the war.
PNS Ghazi was a US-built submarine that was leased to
Pakistan in 1963. It was the first submarine to be operated by
the Pakistan Navy and saw action in the 1965 and 1971 wars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?