In 95% cases of rape in 2013, culprits known to victims: NCRB
Indore: In almost 95 out of every 100 cases of rape registered in the country last year, the culprits were known to their victims, according to a report by the National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB).
The report titled "Crime In India 2013" says that a total of 33,707 cases of rape were registered in the country under Section 376 of IPC in the year and in 31,807 cases (94.4 per cent) the culprits were known to their victims.
While in 33.9 per cent of cases the accused were neighbours, in 7.3 per cent of cases the accused were related to their victims.
According to the report, the cases of "incest rapes" too are on rise with 536 cases being registered in 2013 compared to 392 in 2012, which is an increase of 37 per cent.
Shockingly, most of the victims are in the age group of 10-18 years, the report said.
Expressing concern over the rising crime against women, former Governor of Himachal Pradesh and Justice (retd) V S Kokje of the Rajasthan High Court told PTI today that the increase in cases of rapes by acquaintances is an indication of greater social malice.
"This situation cannot be dealt with merely by enacting laws. Society has to take strong initiatives to deal with this situation," he said.
According to psychiatrist Dr Deepak Mansharamani, the easy availability of sexually explicit literature and audio-video, especially through the internet and social media, is fanning the suppressed sexual urge of men in society.
"This urge for immediate gratification of sex continuously sends signals to one`s mind and (as a result) that person does not hesitate in breaching the trust of the woman concerned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Samajwadi Party party of one family and goons: Amit Shah
- Ranbir Kapoor-Salman Khan to heat up 'chilly' 2017 Christmas
- Jharkhand BJP chief's son accused of sexual exploitation, marrying a minor
- Mark Ruffalo wants full-fledged solo movie on 'Black Widow'
- Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' will hit silver-screen with songs