In-chamber trial of Headley aides on P`graph test
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Saturday held an
in-chamber hearing when National Investigation Agency gave a
report on whether or not alleged Indian aides of David Coleman
Headley consented to undergo lie-detection tests in connection
with plotting the Mumbai 26/11 attack and other strikes in
India between 2005 and 2009.
In a close-door proceeding, which lasted around half an
hour, Superintendent of Police Swayam Prakash Pani of NIA
apprised District and Sessions Judge S P Garg as to whether
the Mumbai and Kerala-based aides of Headley have consented to
undergo the polygraph tests or not.
The contents of the report and details of the proceedings
were not not made public.
NIA had earlier submitted that the terror suspects have
agreed to undergo the lie-detection test which could help the
agency in unearthing the alleged broader designs to plan and
carry out terror attacks.
The court had asked NIA to secure their consent in
writing and file them on the record.
The probe agency, which was tight-lipped over the status,
identity and the number of Indian suspects, had sought an
in-chamber hearing in the case.
Earlier, the details regarding the number, addresses and
the status as to whether they are in custody or not were
provided to the court in a sealed cover.
The move to conduct polygraph (lie detection) tests on
the accused assumed significance as NIA had recently secured
NBWs against two serving Pakistani Army Majors and three LeT
NIA, in the FIR lodged on November 11 last year, has made
American of Pakistani origin Headley, Tawahoor Rana, Canadian
national also of Pakistani origin, who are now in the custody
of FBI, Mumbai terror mastermind Hafiz Sayeed, LeT operations
commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, two Pakistani officers Major
Iqbal and Major Sameer Ali along with Lashkar operatives Sajid
Majid, Syed Abdur Rehman and Illyas Kashmiri as accused.
The accused are wanted in connection with terror
attacks in Mumbai, Delhi and other places during 2005 to 2009.
Initially, NIA had sought issuance of NBWs against all
the nine accused, including Headley and Tawahoor Rana, for
getting the Red Corner Notices (RCN) issued against them by
However, the plea against Headley and Rana was later
withdrawn by NIA on the ground that one of them has been
interrogated by it and they are in custody of the US with whom
India has an extradition treaty.
The court did not issue NBWs against Lakhvi and Sayeed on
the ground that a Mumbai court had already issued the
warrants in the 26/11 terror attack case and it would be
sufficient for issuing RCN against them.
The court, while allowing the plea, had considered
Headley`s statement, recorded at Illinois in the US by NIA, in
which he had disclosed the involvement of these accused in the
The judge had issued NBWs against Major Iqbal and
Major Sameer Ali along with Lashkar operatives Sajid Majid,
Syed Abdur Rehman and Illyas Kashmiri.
Headley was arrested by FBI in Chicago in October last
year and has been lodged in a detention centre there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read