In democracy all have the right to speak: BJP
New Delhi: With Team Anna continuing its attack on Parliamentarians on the issue of corruption, the BJP on Saturday said everyone has the right to speak in a democracy but no one should cross the limit.
"In a democracy everyone has the right to speak. Civil society and the government also have the right to speak. They are using their right. But no one should cross the limit," BJP Spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
The BJP leader said even as he was a member of the Privileges Committee of Parliament, he would name any MP and seek action against him if there were murder or criminal cases against him, but it was not right to speak against the entire Parliamentary system.
"If an MP is wrong - there are murder or other criminal cases against him - then every one has the right to name him. But it is not right to speak against the entire Parliament or Parliamentary system...Everyone should remember their Lakshman Rekha (limit)," he said.
BJP also distanced itself from Team Anna`s movement against corruption, but said it will continue its own fight against the menace.
He said the BJP was with everyone who is fighting for a strong Lokpal and claimed that the party has been fighting for Lokpal in Parliament and its senior leader Arun Jaitley has also taken up the struggle in its Select Committee.
Hitting out at the ruling Congress-led UPA government for not being serious in tackling corruption and delaying action on curbing the menace, the BJP leader said the party will continue to struggle for Lokpal on its own.
"The UPA has the habit of prolonging action against corruption, so that it becomes a non-issue later. They are working on their strategy," said Hussain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened